KITP Postdoctoral Scholar & Otis Williams Postdoctoral Fellow, Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics and the University of California Santa Barbara
Mentors: Zvonimir Dogic and Boris Shraiman
Graduate Research Assistant (2013-2018), University of Chicago
Mentor: William T. M. Irvine. Other mentors: Heinrich Jaeger and Vincenzo Vitelli. Fracture in thin sheets, topological mechanical metamaterials, nanoparticle mechanics, turbulent flows (experiments, simulations, and modeling)
Undergraduate Research Assistant (2011-2012), University of Minnesota
Mentor: Evan Skillman. Star formation in dwarf galaxies, galactic winds, photometry
Undergraduate Research Assistant (2010), St. Olaf College
Mentor: David Nitz. Atomic spectroscopy of neutral Cerium
Ph.D. University of Chicago, Physics, 2018
M.S. University of Chicago, Physics, 2013
B.A. St. Olaf College, Physics, summa cum laude, 2012
Otis Williams Postdoctoral Fellow 2019
Yodh Prize for experimental physics, University of Chicago, 2017
Robert A. Millikan Fellow, University of Chicago, 2015-16
Robert G. Sachs Fellow, University of Chicago, 2013
McCormick Fellow, University of Chicago, 2012-14
Wentzel Teaching Prize awardee, University of Chicago, 2013
NSF GRFP Honorable Mention, 2013
David B. Fossan Endowed Scholar, 2011-12, for excellence in Physics
Buntrock Regent Scholar, 2008-2012, top academic scholarship
National Merit Scholarship, 2008-2012
 N. P. Mitchell, “Geometric Control of Fracture and Topological Metamaterials,” PhD Thesis. University of Chicago Press (2018).
 N. P. Mitchell, R. Carey, J. Hannah, Y. Wang, M. Cortes, S. McBride, H. Jaeger. “Conforming nanoparticle sheets to surfaces with Gaussian curvature.” Soft Matter, 14, 9107 – 9117 (2018) [Full text, arxiv]
 N. P. Mitchell, L. M. Nash, A. M. Turner, W. T. M. Irvine. “Tunable band topology in gyroscopic lattices.” Physical Review B 98, 174301 (2018) [Full text, arxiv]
 N. P. Mitchell, L. M. Nash, W. T. M. Irvine. “Realization of a topological phase transition in gyroscopic lattices.” Physical Review B Rapid 97, 100302(R) (2018) [Full text, arxiv]
 N. P. Mitchell, L. M. Nash, D. Hexner, A. M. Turner, W. T. M. Irvine. “Amorphous topological insulators constructed from random point sets.” Nature Physics 14, 380–385 (2017) [Full text, arxiv]
 N. P. Mitchell, V. Koning, V. Vitelli, W. T. M. Irvine, “Fracture in sheets draped on curved surfaces.” Nature Materials 16, 89-93 (2016) [Full text, arxiv]
 D. E. Nitz, J. Curry, M. Buuck, A. DeMann, N. P. Mitchell, W. Shull, “Transition probabilities of Ce I obtained from Boltzmann analysis of visible and near-infrared emission spectra.” J. Phys. B: At. Mol. Opt. Phys. 51 045007 (2018) [Full text]
 K. B. W. McQuinn, E. D. Skillman, T. N. Heilman, N. P. Mitchell, T. Kelley. “Galactic Outflows, Star Formation Histories, and Timescales in Starburst Dwarf Galaxies from STARBIRDS.” Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, Volume 477, Issue 3, 1 January 1753, Pages 3164–3177, (2018) [Full text, arxiv]
 K. B. W. McQuinn, E. D. Skillman, A. E. Dolphin, N. P. Mitchell. “Calibrating UV star formation rates for dwarf galaxies from STARBIRDS.” The Astrophysical Journal 808 109 (2015) [Full text, arxiv]
 K. B. W. McQuinn, N. P. Mitchell, E. D. Skillman. “The Panchromatic Starburst Irregular Dwarf Survey (STARBIRDS): Observations and Data Archive”, The Astrophysical Journal Supplement Series 218 29 (2015) [Full text, arxiv]
- “Fracture in Sheets Draped on Curved Surfaces.” ETH Zürich, Switzerland. April 17, 2018.
- “Spinning topology in ordered and amorphous metamaterials.”
University of Washington – Seattle, WA. August 31, 2018.
ETH Zürich, Switzerland. April 19, 2018.
New York University, NY. April 11, 2018.
University of California, Santa Barbara, CA. March 29, 2018.
LASSP Seminar, Cornell University, NY. March 22, 2018.
Syracuse University, NY. March 19, 2018.
Stanford University, CA. March 1, 2018.
- “Chiral waves from spinning tops: topology without long-range order.” JFI Friday Seminar. University of Chicago, IL. August 25, 2017.
- “Guiding Cracks with Geometry.” James Franck Institute Friday Seminar. University of Chicago, IL. May 15, 2015.
- “Guiding Cracks with Geometry.” St. Olaf College Physics Colloquium Series. St. Olaf College, MN. April 29, 2015.
- “Geometrically Frustrated Fracture Mechanics.” Soft|Meta Matter Conference. Chicago, IL. September 30, 2014.
- N. P. Mitchell, L. M. Nash, D. Hexner, A. M. Turner, W. T. M. Irvine. “Realization of a Topological Phase Transition in a Gyroscopic Lattice.” APS March Meeting. Los Angeles, CA. March 6, 2018.
- N. P. Mitchell, L. M. Nash, D. Hexner, A. M. Turner, W. T. M. Irvine. “Amorphous Topological Insulators Constructed from Random Point Sets.” APS March Meeting. Los Angeles, CA. March 6, 2018.
- N. P. Mitchell, L. M. Nash, D. Hexner, A. M. Turner, W. T. M. Irvine. “Amorphous Gyroscopic Topological Metamaterials.” APS March Meeting. New Orleans, LA. March 13, 2017.
- N. P. Mitchell, V. Koning, V. Vitelli, W. T. M. Irvine. “Fracture in Sheets Draped on Curved Surfaces.” APS March Meeting. Baltimore, MD. March 15, 2016.
- N. P. Mitchell, V. Koning, V. Vitelli, W. T. M. Irvine. “Geometrically Frustrated Fracture Mechanics.” APS March Meeting. San Antonio, TX. March 3, 2015.
- N. P. Mitchell, V. Koning, V. Vitelli, W. T. M. Irvine. “Fracture on Curved Surfaces.” APS March Meeting 2014. Denver, CO. March 5, 2014.
- N. P. Mitchell, K. B. W. McQuinn, E. D. Skillman. “UV-derived Star Formation Rates in Nearby Starburst Dwarf Galaxies.” Physics at University of Minnesota Expo. Minneapolis, MN. August 10, 2011.
- N. P. Mitchell, L. M. Nash, D. Hexner, A. M. Turner, W. T. M. Irvine. “Amorphous Gyroscopic Topological Insulators.” Gordon Research Conference. New London, NH. August 12-18, 2017. Won prize for best poster. Won Winstein Travel Prize to attend.
- N. P. Mitchell, V. Koning, V. Vitelli, W. T. M. Irvine. “Fracture in Sheets Draped on Curved Surfaces.” – Industry Associates Meeting at the University of Chicago. Chicago, IL. October 27, 2016. – Physics and Mechanics of Soft Complex Materials, Institut d’Études Scientifiques de Cargèse. August 8-20, 2016. Won Winstein Travel Prize to attend.
- N. P. Mitchell, K. B. W. McQuinn, E. D. Skillman. “UV derived Star Formation Rates and Emission Timescale in Nearby Starburst Dwarf Galaxies.”
- 79th Annual Meeting of the Minnesota Academy of Science. Northfield, MN. January 21, 2012.
- American Astronomical Society Meeting. Austin, TX. January 8-12, 2012.
- N. P. Mitchell, M. Buuck, D. E. Nitz. “Measurement of Atomic Transition Probabilities for Neutral Cerium.”
- St. Olaf Science Symposium. Northfield, MN. May 6, 2011.
- Midstates Consortium for Math and Science at Washington University. St. Louis, MO. November 12-14, 2010.
Department of Physics, University of California Santa Barbara
- Guest Lecturer Advanced Classical Mechanics (PHYS 104), March 6, 2019
Department of Physics, The University of Chicago
- Grader Soft Condensed Matter (PHYS 367), Winter 2018
- T.A. Experimental Physics (PHYS 211), Autumn 2016
- T.A. Electronics (PHYS 226), Spring 2016
- Grader Advanced Electrodynamics (PHYS 322), Winter 2016
- T.A. Advanced Electrodynamics (PHYS 322), Winter 2015
- T.A. Experimental Physics (PHYS 211), Spring 2014
- T.A. Optics and Waves (PHYS 133), Spring 2013
- T.A. Electricity and Magnetism (PHYS 132), Winter 2013
- T.A. Mechanics (PHYS 131), Fall 2012
Department of Physics, St. Olaf College
- Guest Lecturer Statistical Mechanics (PHYS 379), April 29, 2015
- T.A. Introductory Astronomy (PHYS 112), Spring 2012
- T.A. Principles of Physics I (PHYS 124), Fall 2011
- Grader Principles of Physics II (PHYS 125), Spring 2010
- Illinois Soft Materials Workshop. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. June 6, 2018.
- Gordon Research Conference: Soft Condensed Matter, Colby-Sawyer College. New London, NH. August 12-18, 2017.
- Physics and Mechanics of Soft Complex Materials, Institut d’Études Scientifiques de Cargèse. Cargèse, France. August 8-20, 2016.
- Topological Matter at H-Zero, Lorenz Center at University of Leiden. May 9-13, 2016.
- Crafting the Lecture: A Student-Centered Approach, UChicago GRAD. April 14, 2016.
- Dark Matter Detectors Summer School, KICP and Fermilab. July 2012.
In the News
- Topological Metamaterials: picked up by Phys.org, Space Daily, ChemEurope, Science Newsline, Nanowerk Nanotechnology News, AAAS EurekAlert
- Kamrin, “Elastic Sheets: Cracks by Design.” Nature Materials 16, 8-9 (2017)
- “Physicists find way to control fractures.” University of Leiden News, October 2016.
- Hargis, “High Level Science Products: The STARBurst IRregular Dwarf Survey (STARBIRDS).” MAST News, April 2017.
Phi Beta Kappa 2012
Sigma Pi Sigma (Society of Physics Students’ Honor Society) 2011
National Merit Finalist 2008
National Honor Society 2007
Outreach & Service
- Physical Review X, Physical Review B, Physical Review Applied, Nano Letters, New Journal of Physics, Extreme Mechanics Letters, PNAS, ICEEEE
- Undergraduate Research supervisor
- Jingyang Zheng (REU, summer 2016)
- Maria Cortes (co-supervised with Yifan Wang, REU, summer 2015)
- Jacob Mazor (spring 2015)
- Apostolos Apostolou (summer 2014)
- Group Leader, Expanding Your Horizons symposium for middle-school girls. March 2017.
- Instructor, Artifice Tech Education Program, Fall 2015 – Spring 2016, weekly.
- Co-led after school courses on coding, electronics, and robotics for ages 12-15 at UChicago Woodlawn Charter School.
- Instructor, Science and Technology Outreach Mentoring Program, Oct. 2014-June 2015, weekly.
- STOMP staffs the science component of an after-school program at the North Kenwood Oakland (NKO) and Donoghue elementary schools. Instructors design engaging education science and technology activities for student in K-5th grade.
- Organizer and Instructor, Bike Physics With A Bang! June-July 2015, July 2016.
- Using bicycles as a centerpiece for demonstrating the principles of physics, this program targets underprivileged preteens on Chicago’s South Side. Activities explore energy, angular momentum, pressure, and concepts from materials science. (Four sessions / year)
- Exhibitor, The Art of Science, Second Friday Pilsen Art Show.
- Science-based visual art show
- Prize Winner, Science Art Show, Feb. 25, 2016.
- Finalist in competition of science-based art
- Participant, Interdivisional Science-Art Show, June 4, 2015.
- Exhibition of science-based art
- Demonstrator, Physics With A Bang! at University of Chicago, 2012-present, one day annually.
- Annual open house for students, families, and teachers. Lab tours offer participation in hands-on activities related to their research.
- Demonstrator, Young Scholar’s Program, 2013-2016, one day annually.
- The Young Scholars Program offers mathematically talented seventh through twelfth graders an opportunity to explore mathematics that are not generally taught in schools
- Demonstrator, Science Night at Lee Elementary, “Fun with Marangoni Flows.”
- October 2, 2014.
- Session Chair, APS March Meeting 2014, Session M17: Fracture and Other Problems in Statistical Physics. March 5, 2014.
- Demonstrator, Women in Physics Conference, U. Chicago, January 18, 2014.
- Science Fair Judge, Harte Elementary School, Nov 6, 2013.
- Volunteer, Science Club, Andrew Carnegie Elementary School, 2013-2014, monthly.
- Demonstrator, Science on the Screen at U. Chicago, April 21, 2013.
- Physics Dept. Mentor to first-year physics majors at St. Olaf College, 2011-12.
- Research Assistant preparing the manuscript of The Image in Mind by Prof. Charles Taliaferro (philosophy of science) St. Olaf College: Northfield, MN. Winter 2010.
- Director of the Nature and Astronomy Center at Many Point Scout Camp, Ponsford, MN, June –August 2009.
Prof. William Irvine
Prof. Vincenzo Vitelli
Prof. Heinrich Jaeger
Prof. Sidney Nagel